Additional builds on these platforms thanks to volunteers/fans:
Flare engine v0.19 released!
Flare v0.19 is ready for modders and players! Most of the changes since the last version are internal to the engine code.
- Power specific stat modifiers (Ryan Dansie)
- Cutscenes (Stefan Beller)
- Specify data path via command line argument (Justin Jacobs)
- Minions support (Ryan Dansie)
- Flare engine man page (Christoph Thompson)
- Keyboard based menu navigation (Igor Paliychuk, Joseph Bleu, Justin Jacobs)
- Movement using floating point positions (Stefan Beller, Justin Jacobs
- Hardcore characters no longer share a stash (Stefan Beller)
- Credits added to title menu (Igor Paliychuk)
- Additional event triggers (Stefan Beller)
- Configurable death penalty (Justin Jacobs)
- Colorblind mode options (blazindragon)
- Add chance_flee behavior for enemies (Justin Jacobs)
- Currency as a stackable item (Justin Jacobs)
- Inline configuration attribute documentation (Henrik Andersson)
- New minimap tiles for false walls (Matthew Krohn)
- Allow custom attack animations (Matthew Krohn)
- EventManager to handle map and NPC events (Igor Paliychuk, Justin Jacobs)
- Use paths in config files when referring to other files (Justin Jacobs)
- Upgradeable powers (Ryan Dansie and Igor Paliychuk)
- TONS of internal refactoring/cleanup (everyone)
- Various bug fixes (everyone)
Special thanks to these translators who are contributing to Flare for the first time:
- German (de) update by Wuzzy2
- Greek (el) update by Michael Papageorgiou
- Scottish Gaelic (gd) by gunchleoc
- Chinese (zh) by lonsine
- Gold is now a stackable item and can safely be stored in the shared stash
- Heroic Swing and Greater Channel are now upgrades of starting powers
- New powers Ember Shot and Thunderstrike
Linux etc. (build from source)
- Source and game data bundle (tar.gz format)
- Engine source (tar.gz format)
- Game demo data files (tar.gz format)
The core Flare team provides the above binaries and sources. Ports for all other platforms are done by fans and volunteers. If you have the expertise to update or port Flare to another platform, please do! Send me the download/repo link and I'll add it to the download list.
Next for Flare
The next engine release will be 1.0! We are done with all major and minor features. The only tasks left are mainly internal refactoring and fixes.
I'm working on final maps for the full campaign. The first act of the campaign will come with version 1.0 of the engine.
I pulled igorko's Power Upgrade feature and removed a test cutscene from flare-game. Barring new bugs, v0.19 is tagged and ready for packaging. Please immediately report any issues.
Next step is to summarize the last 8 months (!) of change logs and update the Credits wiki. Tonight I'll create binaries for Windows and OSX and prepare the various source bundles.
[-- update 2013-12-02 19:45 UTC --]
Removed v0.19 tags for now because we're noticing a few bits of data that need updating. I'll post back here when tags are restored.
[-- update 2013-12-02 21:17 UTC --]
v0.19 is now tagged in the flare-engine and flare-game repo. Tomorrow I'll post the official release. For now, try the test downloads below and let us know if you encounter major issues. Packagers should note that we might make minor changes/fixes between now and tomorrow.
Test v0.19 Downloads
Linux etc. (build from source)
Flare Engine v0.19 ready for translation
I'm officially declaring String Freeze for the Engine v0.19. This means translators can begin or update translations safely!
The Engine translation files are found on the GitHub repo. And on the GitHub wiki there are basic instructions on how our translations work.
Don't worry about any data translations for now. The majority of changes since v0.18 are internal to the engine, so we haven't needed to create much new game data for testing features. And we're all looking forward to new content, hopefully I'll have something to reveal soon.
Engine v0.19 release date
Have any engine translations submitted to us by Friday, Nov 29th! We will package and test over the weekend to release on Dec 1st.
Flare engine approaching 1.0!
We're essentially feature-complete on the engine right now. There is a bit of refactoring and standardization still to go. So we're identifying anything that might change config and data files down the road. Once version 1.0 is officially released we don't want to go breaking games by changing the data specs!
Version 0.19 will essentially serve as our "Release Candidate" for v1.0. Before I officially put the 1.0 blessing on, I'll be doing a full code and data review of the project.
I'm working on the final content for Flare (game) 1.0. I'm going to have to find a real name for this (not Wandercall, that comes later) and let Flare be the engine name.
I started releasing the first few map ideas on GitHub. If you're playing from the latest source, enable "fantasycore" and "empyrean_campaign" mods only to try it. Not much yet but you can start to see some of the personalities.
I'm going to build a story of my own here, but I am interested in some input from players and other modders.
- What map areas of the alpha demo do you like adventuring in? Why?
- What kind of map would you like to see done with the current tiles?
- Which of the alpha quests do you find interesting? Why?
- What kind of quests do you think will fit well in this style of action RPG?
Wandercall modern outfit
Before I got into making higher quality models for Wandercall, I wanted to practice on some mundane clothes. This lets me focus completely on technique and using the tools, instead of trying to create my own new style for an outfit.
It's worked well. I feel fairly confident in the techniques I used here, and I can create the models at a reasonable pace. The jeans, shoes, and tank top each took about 8 hours average. I'll probably get faster with practice.
I like the way these turned out. I may even use them as starting gear in Wandercall. The game might be strange like that.